Monday, December 31, 2018

Goodbye and Good Riddance, 2018


2018 has been a challenging year, there is no way around it the way I reflect on it now. I have tried looking at it from various angles, trying to understand why it had to be this way, and I think I am still not quite understanding why. These last few days of it have been marked with sickness, fatigue, sadness, and a sprinkling of chaos just to make it all the more fun. I feel like it has been a punishing year, and I really hate to feel that way, but that is just the way it has felt.

Punished for what?, you might ask. I am not entirely sure, but I do think it is mainly because I have not been true to myself and my own personal beliefs, mainly in order to appease others, and to “fit in”, something that has not been my calling card for a very long time. Earlier today, I used that word- punishing –when speaking to my friend about how I have felt upon reflecting on 2018, and she said God would not punish me, that there is no reason for me to be punished, that God knows I am doing my best and that life can just be difficult at times to make us stronger and better to face what life might throw at us in the future. I hope she’s right, but I if I still need to get stronger…I am in for a bumpy ride, because strong is not the way I feel lately.

2018 has been a year of service for me. I have been a mother, a wife, a caretaker, a realtor, a homemaker, a cook, a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen, a problem solver…but, I have not been any of these things to myself. I have not practiced much in forms of self-care, only behavior that I labeled as “treating myself” when it happened, but was really just making an excuse for unhealthy self-indulgence when I was tired and stressed.

I came to North Carolina for a new life, a better life, a life that was supposed to help form me into the new, better person I know I could/can be. It started off great: the summer of 2016, when we moved here, was full of promise and hope, positive energy, making and meeting goals, enjoying life, and loving each other. Then, my grandmother got very sick and things started to look bleak. Money was running out, and the plan of starting new jobs later that year was not exactly staying on track. Then, on New Year’s Eve of that year, a little voice told me I was pregnant, and then that inkling was confirmed about two weeks later when I took a pregnancy test. So, that changed a lot of things.

It was a very rough pregnancy, but I came out with a beautiful, remarkable daughter at the end, and I am loving her more than I thought possible to love another being as I have Lily. No regrets there, but it threw a bit of a bump on the once smoother path to reaching my goals.

Our goals have been, to summarize:

-Do more to build a homestead-type lifestyle, where we rely less on the framework society has built in forms of food, energy, health, income, etc.
-Find out what our true passions are in life, and dive in headfirst to make that what we do
-Live and love better, by trying to get more and enjoy more out of life, and worry and stress less

Should have been simple goals to reach, right? Or at least to work towards, or so we thought. We were certainly on that path, and it felt ever so good and satisfying to be raising chickens and planting seeds and building things and exploring solar energy and making budget plans that we could actually stick to, and all of these other things and skills and experiences we so desperately wanted…but, somehow, we got off of that path when other responsibilities took foothold, and depression and laziness stepped in, and now we are no better than before we moved here, and even further in the hole financially-speaking, when financial freedom was one of our top goals.

I love my family, and my children are truly my reason for continuing anything, but it shouldn’t be that way. I should also be doing the things I do for me. I keep telling myself that service to others is the greatest gift and a high honor, especially to be caring for my grandmother who has done so much for me and my family throughout her own life, but it still takes its toll. Caring for her has been rewarding, yet extremely challenging, and from talking to others who have been in similar circumstances, she is in a better state than most people her age. Thus, I keep telling myself to count my blessings.

And count them I do…over and over until the little nagging, complaining voice gets buried deep down below the surface, drowned out until the next time it bobs back up. And that helps at the time, but it is just like putting a Band-Aid on a wound that needs surgery: Something more effective will have to be done.

I look in the mirror and I can see it in my face. I can feel it in my bones, in all the aches and pains, the unwarranted tightness in my jaw. A change is desperately needed, and, no, I don’t think it is just parenting and adulthood taking its toll. It is this life I have been given and how I have chosen to treat it. I need to treat it better, by honoring my family and friends and fellow beings, and myself. The world around us is very loud and scary these days, but I have to not be afraid.

I am going to work on it, because- what else can I do? I can’t give up and I won’t give up, even though I have to admit that thought crosses my mind nearly every day. Some days I just do not want to get out of bed, and that is not a good sign.

I am not writing this to cause worry, or illicit a reaction from anyone, it’s just to get it out and put it out there, and move forward, and maybe help someone who might be struggling with something similar.

I will end this by saying, today, on this New Year’s Eve of 2019, I am not going to make a resolution, but I am going to keep on going, and trying to make myself a better person each and every day by doing whatever it takes within reason, because taking care of myself along with my family needs to come first no matter what. I will also list the things I am grateful for, because it is always good to end and start on a positive note.

3 Things I am Grateful For at this Moment:

1.     I am grateful for the family I have, and that they are always there for me, even when I think they aren’t
2.     I am grateful for a functioning heating system in my home, because there are so many people in this world who do not have that privilege
3.     I am grateful for the delicious lemon ginger cheesecake my Aunt Diane made and brought while visiting this holiday break, of which I just finished the last slice

I think as long as I live in a world where I have loved ones caring for me who make me dinner and bake for me every once in a while, I must be doing okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment