Sunday, September 11, 2016

Peace in Books and Gardening


Today is Sunday. Yesterday I went to this amazing books and authors festival in downtown Winston-Salem, and got a big bag of new books. So, my intention is to spend the better part of what’s left of the afternoon rocking on the back deck swing while losing myself in Jonathan Safran Foer’s Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It seems fitting to start with that one since it has been 15 years since 9/11 changed the lives of Americans forever*, and inspired Foer to write the book.

I did get a few chores done this morning, so I don’t feel completely unproductive. And there’s nothing wrong with getting lost in a good book. A big part of my reason for moving here was to bring more peace and relaxation to my life, anyway. One of the ways I have been helping myself to remember how to relax is gardening.

Since moving down here, my typically very brown thumb has been growing greener. By that, I mean, I have killed aloe plants and cactuses in the past, and haven't killed any plants since relocating to NC! Maybe it’s the extra greenery or the fresher air or just having the extra time on my hands to just enjoy nature, but I wanted to do some kind of gardening, despite it being a bit late in the season to get a full garden going.

Lily sure loves being surrounded by Mother Nature

I have been seeing these cute little succulent plants at various stores we’ve visited, and seen them potted on interior design offerings on Pinterest in fun ways. While unpacking and organizing all the kitchenware, I set aside a couple of especially lovely bowls that I thought would make the perfect planters for succulents or bonsais. I got my hands on some of what was left at the local Walmart a couple of weeks ago, and got to work.

I perused a few different DIY succulent garden articles online, then combined what I’d read to make this cute little set-up:



Here’s what I did:

First, I put a layer of sand on the bottom of each dish, about half an inch high. This is important because the dishes I chose to use do not have drainage holes on the bottom, so the sand will stop the succulents’ roots from staying wet, which I read is what can cause them to become over-watered, and possibly die. If you have a pot with drainage holes, sand isn’t necessary, but it won’t hurt.

I also read that the best soil to use is a potting soil mix made primarily for cacti and succulents. Luckily, the mini planters the succulents I purchased came in already contained cactus-friendly soil from what the labels on them read, so I just put the plants into the dishes with that soil, and added a little basic planting soil on top for filler. I added a splash of water, just enough to make the soil damp, and voila- my mini succulent garden is now complete!

They all seem to be very happy, still...





I would’ve liked to get some more colorful plants, but there was less of a variety to choose from this late in the gardening season. I still think they are pleasing to the eye, and anytime you bring extra plants into your life is a good thing!

I’d like to expand my quest to turn my thumbs entirely green by adding air-purifying plants and mosquito-deterring plants to my homestead’s repertoire, so that is next on my gardening agenda.

What does this image evoke when you look at it?

Are there any plants you’d like to recommend? I prefer plants that are easy to manage and look appealing to the eye. They can be hanging or just sit on tables or counters, I have space! Thanks!


*I didn't want to make this post all about 9/11, but still would like to bring honor and attention to the memory of those who we lost that fateful day, and to all of those first responders and everyone else who helped in any way they were able to, making them forever heroes.




No comments:

Post a Comment